Product Family: Electric
Product Used: ERD Rod Cylinder & ACS Drive
Product Type: Standard
Stroke: 6 inches
Load: Less than 30 lbs
Duty Cycle: 100% during each batch run
Application Description: Automated vaccine delivery and product transfer machinery for eggs.
An automated vaccine delivery and product transfer machine for eggs was using pneumatically driven rod cylinders for the inoculation process. The motion needed to be very smooth to facilitate the inoculation process and a switch to electric motion technology was desired. Although the machine motion was intermittent to facilitate the inoculation and product transfer process, the actuators needed to operate on a continuous basis during each batch run. The machinery was also subjected to a caustic wash down process between each run.
An ERD15 all stainless-steel actuator with an IP67 motor protection package was combined with a NEMA 23-frame stepper motor and ACS drive for an economical pneumatic replacement. This solution provided infinite positioning capability with smooth controlled motion.
- Smooth operation enhanced the precision of the inoculation process and eliminated risk of damage during the transfer process
- Elimination of costly air and potential leaks across the plant
- Quick, easy changeovers from one egg pattern to the next with no use of manual labor for adjustments in stroke length
- Low cost, easy to install electric system made the switch from pneumatics painless
- Easy connection to I/O of Allen Bradley PLC supported customers PLC specifications